Kentucky Identification Cards

Identification cards are good for four years and must be issued in the county where you reside. To obtain an ID card, you must show an original or certified birth certificate, Social Security Card (cannot be laminated) or W-2 Wage and Tax Statement or 1099 (most recently issued; full SS number displayed; not handwritten), and proof of address and marriage license, if applicable. Applicants under the age of 18 will need a parent or guardian to sign the application. Guardianship papers are required. We cannot accept laminated or photocopied documents.

All names on the documentation must match.

Name or address changes are required by law to be made to ID cards within 10 days. To obtain a name change, you must show documentation in the form of a marriage license, divorce decree or name change order. You must register your new name at the Social Security office at least 24 hours before being issued an ID card.


  • $12 for applicants 15 and over – $4 for applicants 14 and under.
  • Payments may be made by cash or credit/debit card.
  • There is a third-party convenience fee for credit/debit card transactions.
  • Personal checks are not accepted.

18 and over: What do I need to bring?

  • Birth Certificate (Original or State Certified with the raised embossed seal) AND 
  • Social Security Card (Not Laminated) AND
  • Mail postmarked or dated within the last 30 days with applicant’s name

Under 18: What do I need to bring?

  • Birth Certificate (Original or State Certified with the raised embossed seal) AND
  • Social Security Card (Not Laminated) AND
  • Parent listed on the birth certificate or legal guardian with guardianship documents AND
  • A parent/guardian must also be present with a valid form of ID — If the applicant does not live with the parent or guardian, they will also need mail addressed to the child at their current address. Mail must be dated in the last 30 days. Legal guardians must have guardianship documents.