Out-of-State Transfers

You must surrender any out-of-state operator’s license when applying for an operator’s license in Kentucky. To obtain an out-of-state transfer, the driver must provide a Social Security Card or W-2 Wage and Tax Statement or 1099 (most recently issued; full SS number displayed; not handwritten), birth certificate or U.S. Passport (if your name has changed, you must provide documentation to show the name change, i.e, marriage license, divorce decree, etc.), and proof of a Jefferson County address (i.e., deed, property tax bill, lease, utility bill).

If you do not have an out-of-state license, you will be required to show an official driving record or clearance letter from the last state where you held a driver’s license.

Transfers may be made at any of the six Driver’s License branches unless the out-of-state license has expired. If the out-of-state license has expired, the driver must take the vision and written tests at the Bowman Field Driver’s License Branch.


  • $20 for an operator’s license
  • $30 for an operator/motorcycle license.
  • Payments may be made by cash or credit/debit card card.
  • There is a third-party convenience fee for credit/debit card transactions.
  • Personal checks are not accepted.