Military Mail-In Renewals
(For U.S. military personnel/Jefferson County residents only)
Kentucky residents currently serving in the U.S. military who are stationed or assigned to a base or other location outside the boundaries of the Commonwealth may renew a Class D operator’s license by mail. See application link and instructions below.
If a Kentucky resident has been serving in the U.S. military and has allowed their operator’s license to expire, they shall, within ninety (90) days of returning to the Commonwealth, be permitted to renew their license without having to take a written test or road test.
A Kentucky resident serving in the U.S. military who does not renew their expired license within ninety (90) days of returning to the Commonwealth shall be required to comply with all procedures of renewing a license that has expired.
Instructions for “Valid Without Photo or Signature License” Applications:
- Valid without photo is only available to persons “Currently serving in the U.S. military.” Your notarized application must be accompanied by a photocopy of your U.S. Military ID or Dependent ID and a photocopy of your Driver’s License.
- Complete the application (must be a Jefferson County resident):
- Date of birth
- Phone number
- Driver’s License number
- Social Security number
- The application must be signed in the presence of a Notary (where you are stationed). The Notary must put his/her seal on the application.
- The six questions on the blue license application (Part B) must be answered. Your signature needs to appear in the white box (please use a black pen).
- The correct fee must be sent in the form of a cashier’s check, personal check or money order (No temporary checks or International Money Orders, i.e., MoneyGram) made payable to: “David L. Nicholson, Clerk” or “Jefferson Circuit Court Clerk.”
- Return both completed applications to:
Division of Driver Licensing
Attn: Jana Sanchez
200 Mero Street
Frankfort, KY 40601
along with the correct fee (see application) and a self-addressed stamped envelope (with your temporary out-of-state address). Please be sure to include your separation date on your military order form so that we can confirm that you are still active military.
Your license will be mailed to you upon completion of the above mentioned items.
CLICK HERE for the application