Hardship License

Cost: $5

A hardship license can be applied for in the county where the DUI was received. Paperwork is presented to a District Court judge for approval and signing.

Upon approval by the judge, hardship license paperwork is sent to a Driver’s License office in the county where the DUI was received. That office will then make the paperwork available to you for pick up.

Jefferson County residents can bring their hardship paperwork to one of our six branches to have the hardship license issued.

What do I need to bring?

  • Your suspended driver’s license
  • Your approved hardship paperwork

What if I no longer have my license?

You will have to confirm your identity with ONE of the following documents to be issued a new license:

  • Birth Certificate (Original or State Certified with the raised embossed seal) OR
  • Social Security Card OR
  • Passport OR
  • Any OFFICIAL U.S. or State of Kentucky document with your full name and Social Security number visible (ex. W2, food stamp documentation, military documentation)